In 1909, at the age of 20 years old, Salvatore Alessio left Calabria, Italy and arrived at Ellis Island. Salvatore worked as a day laborer performing different tasks for several years before deciding to specialize in water main construction. In 1916, Salvatore and his wife, Mary, bought property located at 102 Fairground Avenue in Huntington Station and built a four room home which was also used as an office for the water main construction company. Salvatore worked strictly under his own name and reputation until it was necessary to form a New York State Corporation. In August of 1937, Alessio Pipe & Construction Co., Inc. was formed. The corporation was formed with Salvatore Alessio as president, his eldest son, John, as vice president, his eldest daughter, Anna, as secretary and his wife, Mary, as treasurer. The importance of family has carried through today as Alessio Pipe & Construction Co., Inc. can proudly say that it is still family owned and operated. Over 100 years later there have been several changes in the water industry, but one thing remains constant; the name “Alessio” is synonymous with quality water main construction on Long Island.